Thursday, November 25, 2010

I Really, Really Hate Running

But I'm doing it anyhow. For no particular reason, I committed to running 2 races in the next few months. The first race is a Santa 5K in Seoul on December 11th. The gist is everyone dresses in Santa outfits and runs a race (among other competitions like Tug of War, a 10k, and a walk). I'm hoping to run it in less than 30 minutes. I am not a fast runner nor an efficient runner. I just pray my teammates don't leave me in the dust. After sprinting through the South Korean capital decked in red and white my team will like engage in heavy merry-making around the city whilst still decked in our tacky Christmas garb. Tis the season!

Despite the fun to follow, this is my first race ever. As many of you know, I'm not exactly athletic and I am anything but a runner. I love yoga and kayaking and will on occasion go on a gym kick, but running? Oh heck no. However, somehow I have forced myself into buying a new pair of running kicks and sticking to a training schedule that my friend Bridgette was so lovely to put together. I am on week three now and have only missed a couple runs - I have a really busy life here! I just hope I can stick to it until April.
My new kicks! Asics 2150s
My second race is a 10k. I will run it in mid-April as part of the Daegu Marathon. At first I entertained the idea of running the full marathon. That conviction didn't last too long as I realized how long a marathon really is - 26.2 miles is quite a ways to run. I could do it in maybe a day or so, but under 4 hours? I think not. So the 10k was a safe bet for me, a truly attainable goal. My friend Shannon and I will run the 10k and wait at the finish line as Bridgette completes the full marathon. *cue cliched cheer* You go girl!

So through April, I will need all the positive thoughts I can get. Running isn't an easy habit for me to pick up (your knees hurt, your ankles hurt, your shins hurt, it's boring, etc etc). But I feel fantastic when I complete each run; I'm committing to something good for me and can share my trials and successes with 2 others in the same boat. I'm determined to finish these races, even if my times aren't exactly world class. I'm a complete neophyte in the running and racing world, still unsure if it will become a "thing" for me, but for now it's giving me a goal to strive for and hey, how cool is it to run a couple races in South Korea? Wish me luck!

That day, for no particular reason, I decided to go for a little run. So I ran to the end of the road. And when I got there, I thought maybe I'd run to the end of town. And when I got there, I thought maybe I'd just run across Greenbow County. And I figured, since I run this far, maybe I'd just run across the great state of Alabama. And that's what I did. I ran clear across Alabama. For no particular reason I just kept on going. I ran clear to the ocean. And when I got there, I figured, since I'd gone this far, I might as well turn around, just keep on going. When I got to another ocean, I figured, since I'd gone this far, I might as well just turn back, keep right on going. - Forrest Gump

No comments:

Post a Comment