Monday, January 3, 2011

Resolving Things in 2011

As most in the blogosphere do, I am contributing my personal list of New Year's Resolutions. And let's just assume that the old standards of improving relationships, being a better person, exercise more, and love life are already enveloped in these without explicitly doing so. Except I believe I just did explicitly do so.

Anyhow, here goes:

1) Read more! On January 1st, I picked up the classic Dune by Frank Herbert and haven't stopped yet.

2) Write - maybe a book (I have ideas!) - and definitely contribute more to this blog, Thinking Diplomatically, and other outlets.

3) Brush up on my Spanish and learn MUCH more Korean.

4) Travel. For me, this usually goes without saying, especially since I already have plans to visit about 5 new countries this year.

5) Volunteer abroad. I've wanted to this for some time now. After my year in Korea, I'd like to go to a wildlife reserve my Mom volunteered with 5 years ago in South Africa. I adore animals. Which leads me to...

6) Volunteer my time to animal shelters. I am a horrible emotional mess when it comes to animals - those ASPCA commercials make me want to curl up and bawl my eyes out for hours. I'd like to turn this energy into something useful. So, KAPS I hope you need some more Waygooks!

7) Get back in touch with people.

8) Get back into theatre and the performing arts. On both sides of the stage.

9) Cut back on the swearing. A few years ago, a few friends and I were handing out nicknames to one another. I was labelled "La Marinera" - "The Sailor." I asked, "Is it because I curse so much?" They replied with a chuckle, "No! It's because you travel so much! But now that you mention that it definitely works both ways." Frak, indeed.

10) Learn to live with less. I remarked to a friend yesterday that I was shocked at how much stuff I've accumulated in my 4 short months in Korea. This resolution could be the source of catharsis I seek as I love getting rid of things. And I believe a "don't sweat the small stuff" goes hand-in-hand with this one.

I hope each of you finds your own goal for 2011. It's the Year of the Rabbit - my year - and I feel good about it. I think some pretty fantastic things lay ahead. To all of my fellow Rabbits, let's make this one for the books! And even if it isn't your year, I hope you will be pleasantly surprised with what the new decade has to offer.

Cheers and love from South Korea,

Erin

No comments:

Post a Comment